My sister gave me this recipe for chicken tortilla soup with shredded after she served it at a special party at their house.
Ingredients of chicken tortilla soup recipe:
8 tablespoons Canola oil
5 10″ to 12″ corn tortillas
6 garlic cloves
1 small bunch of cilantro
2 – 14.5 oz. cans of diced tomatoes
8 cups chicken stock
14 ounces of canned or frozen corn
3/4 – 1 1/2 Tablespoons ground cumin
1/2 – 1 Tablespoon chili powder
4 bay leaves
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves or try thighs
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Juice from 1 lime
Preparation of chicken tortilla soup recipe:
- Dice the onion and mince the garlic.
- Wash and towel try the cilantro, remove stems and chop.
- Open your cans of tomatoes and have them at the ready. You don’t have to measure out all the spices unless you like the way they have it all ready on the cooking shows.
- Rinse the chicken under cold water and dry.
Methods of chicken tortilla soup recipe:
- Make this all in one large soup pot or fry the tortilla strips in one and make the soup in another. I like to clean as few pots as possible especially when I’m working one handed. Cut up 2 of the tortillas into 1/4 inch strips and fry them in 3 tablespoons of Canola oil. You want them to be a golden brown but be careful not to burn them, they cook quickly. Depending on the size of your pot, you may have to cook several at time.
- Remove the strips from pot and transfer to some paper towels to drain. Season with a little salt.
- Heat the remaining oil over medium high heat and sauté the onions for a couple of minutes.
- Add garlic and sauté for another minute or two. Tear the remaining 3 corn tortillas into bite size pieces and add to the pot.
- Add the cilantro, stir, and cook for a minute more. Add the canned tomatoes with their juice and the chicken stock, cumin, chili powder, and bay leaves and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer, add the corn, whole chicken breasts, and cayenne. Simmer the chicken breasts for 15 to 20 minutes until cooked throughout.
- Remove the chicken breasts and put aside to cool. Turn off the soup at this point. Once the chicken breasts are cool, shred them with your hands and return to the pot.
- Add your lime juice and taste for spiciness. If you like it hotter, add more of the spices. Reheat, and serve with the fried tortilla strips.
My sister usually serves this chicken tortilla soup with the fried tortillas, freshly diced avocado, grated cheddar cheese, and sour cream. The sour cream really helped mellow out some of the spices and gave the soup a wonderful creamy appearance. This soup is a meal.