Salads are the perfect appetizer or side for grilled meat. It doesn’t just add colors to the menu, but also adds nutrition to your meal. Not only that, they’re also quick and easy to prepare while your meat is cooking on the grill. Give your next grilled steak meal an instant upgrade with any of these delicious salads!
Light and Easy Green Salad
What you need:
For the dressing:
- 1 small clove garlic, finely minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon freshly-squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 fine sea salt
- 1/4 freshly-cracked black pepper
For the salad:
- 1 cucumber, very thinly sliced
- 1/2 red onion, peeled, thinly sliced
- 1 cup spring greens mix
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
To prepare the dressing, combine the minced garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, sea salt and black pepper in a mason jar. Cover and shake until ingredients are well-combined. Mix the cucumber, onion, greens and nuts in a salad bowl then toss in the dressing. Serve immediately.
Creamy Potato Salad
What you need:
- 1 kg. red, white or yellow potatoes, freshly cooked
- 3 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1 dill pickle, finely chopped
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 eggs, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh herbs
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- Salt and freshly-ground black pepper
Fill a medium bowl with ice then add cold water. Place the freshly-cooked potatoes in the bowl for an ice bath. When cool, peel the potatoes, chop into bite-sized pieces. Place in a large bowl and season with apple cider vinegar and salt. Set aside.
Place the onions in a small bowl filled with cold water. Allow to sit for 10 minutes before rinsing. This helps tone down the onion’s strong raw flavour. The lighter the flavour of the onion, the more ideal for this creamy potato salad.
In a medium bowl, combine the sour cream, mayonnaise and mustard. Add the mixture to the potatoes along with celery, pickle, onions, eggs and herbs. Gently stir to combine ingredients. Season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving.
A juicy grilled steak will go perfectly with a light side dish – and salads are the perfect choice! Try these easy and delicious salad recipes for a filling and hearty barbecue meal!