Cake decorating is an art, craft, and culinary skill. Whether you are an avid baker and maker of treats, somebody looking for a recreational outlet, or an experienced hobbyist planning to start a sideline cupcake business, you may be looking for cake decorating classes. The Wilton cake decorating course is a well-known and established program. Offered in retail stores across North America, this 4-course series provides step-by-step instructions for basic and advanced techniques.
Each course consists of four classes, usually scheduled on weekends. To supplement the live instruction, there is a Wilton course book which you use during the course and for practicing at home. During the course you will be decorating cakes which you can take home and share with family and friends.
Sometimes it is difficult to find a class at a convenient time or location. If you are unable to attend Wilton cake decorating classes, it is possible to purchase the Wilton cake decorating books and study on your own. Of course you won’t have the benefit of interacting with a skilled instructor and classmates, but you will have access to detailed, easy-to-follow instructions. Following are the highlights of each of the four Wilton courses:
Wilton Course 1: Discover Cake Decorating
- Learn how to bake a cake
- Prepare icing with the right consistency
- Frosting a cake
- Apply decorative borders
- Make simple flowers such as roses.
Wilton Course II: Flowers and Borders
- Apply buttercream and royal icing frostings with precision
- Create borders with rope designs, reverse shells, and rosettes
- Practice making 8 flowers such as pansies, daffodils, and mums
- Study color design principles
- Create and take home a flower basket cake
Wilton Course III: Fondant and Tiered Cakes
- Cover a cake with rolled fondant
- Make fondant flowers and figures
- Create embroidery, lace, and string work accents
- Create ruffle and garland borders
- Create and take home a fully decorated tiered cake.
Wilton Course IV: Fondant and Gum Paste
- Create fondant and gum paste flowers
- Color and marbleize fondant and gum paste
- Learn how to use a ribbon cutter to make ribbons, drapes and borders
- Create a cake board cover with fondant
- Decorate with punched stripes, inlays, appliqués, ribbon garlands and rope borders
- Create and take home a Grand Finale Cake.
How to Find Wilton Books and Local Classes
If you attend a series of Wilton cake decorating classes your teacher will provide the course instruction book. If you will be studying Wilton cake decorating on your own, you can purchase a course book online. Local classes are hosted by large arts and crafts stores, cake decoration supplies retailers, and some grocery stores.